Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hadagarh, NGMA and a sketch

Title - Dusk at Hadagarh
Size - 11 x 15 inch
Medium - Watercolor on paper

Title - Plein air at NGMA
Size - 14 x 10 inch
Medium - Watercolor on paper

Watercolor sketch of a tribal village

When a painting has a lot of area unpainted it is always a temptation to fill in something. I got tempted too but I think I did not go. Somehow I managed to stop and let it be. So I was actually quiet happy about that.

This photo was taken from my friend's blogpost on the dying Hadagarh sanctuary in Odisha. In my painting I wanted to see the river touching the horizon and hence I increased the height of my viewing point for the painting.

Last Sunday I had gone out to NGMA with my weekend drawing club friends to do some plein air work. The biggest difficulty was to get a place where you could sit in the shade of trees and paint a nice view that had enough light.

And lastly I am posting a sketch in preparation for a painting.

Thank you for stopping by. Have a great day.

11 comments:

pc said...

@Hadagarh:
loved the light in water and the atmosphere !

@sketch
big patches of green are very appealing. waiting to see the final work.

Sandra Busby said...

I think it was the right decision to leave untouched areas. It has a beautiful calm feel to it and such a feeling of light, partly helped by the contrast of the dark foreground tree. I LOVE this one - It's gorgeous! And I like your colourful sketches too :0)

Pat said...

Dusk is stunning! I could sit and look and feel at peace with that painting!

The trees and building I like - you have great depth in that painting.

Am looking forward to seeing the painting of the sketch!

Bravo on all three! xx

Lydie said...

Beautiful depth in the first one , Ilove it !

Crystal Cook said...

I think all of these are so stunning Prabal. Again I'm marvelling at your ability (or should I say restraint?) to leave things as they are and not go back in and fuss around! The mark of a master watercolorist!

And I love them all but think I prefer the sketch best of all. But I've always been drawn to your sketches. :)

hmuxo said...

All of these are great but I truly love that first one..dusk at Hadagarh. Beautifully painted!!

Prabal said...

PC,

Thank you. :)

Sandra,
Actually I could have left a little more of the white. But I had got carried away a little. :)

Prabal said...

Pat,
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.. For all three of course. :)

Lydie,
Great to hear from you. I am glad you liked this one.

Prabal said...

Oh Crystal,
I am so happy that the sketch appealed to you the most. I found company here. :)
By the way I heard 'Huzzah' while watching AVATAR yesterday.

Hilda,
Thank you for your kind comment.

Liana Yarckin said...

Prabal, Dusk at Hadagarh is absolutely stunning! You captured the water with reflections of the sky wonderfully.

جمال السيد said...

It reminds of the Biblical saying: God's soul was swaying on the face of water> Welldone Prabal.