Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Odissi sketch


Last Friday I went to an Odissi dance concert here in Bangalore by Srajana kaikini . After a long time I was actually watching Odissi dance live. This is the oldest classical dance form of India and its roots are traced to 1st century BC. Traditional Odissi repertoire consists of 6 performances accompanied by live music. The music is set to Odissi style of Indian classical music. I was mesmerized by the combined effect of classical music and dance. It was very inspiring and this sketch is a result of that.

The dancer is depicting a woman doing 'shringaar' (basically kind of putting on makeup :)) while looking into a mirror.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Very nice, Prabal. I thought I was following your blog, but then realized I wasn't when I visited and saw all your new work. I'm following now. You do nice work!

Crystal Cook said...

That is just stunning Prabal! You captured the gesture perfectly! And what an interesting story :) I like it.

Kathy said...

Hi Prabal, I always dance when I put on my make up. lol.
Nice sketch! Sounds like you had a nice evening watching these dancers and I rhnk the sketch proves it.

Art with Liz said...

Beautiful and elegant Prabal, I think you've caught the beauty of those dancers.

Are you still watching cricket???

Prabal said...

Michelle,
Its great to have you on my followers list.. We can keep in touch better now. :)

Crystal,
Thanks. I actually did some reading about the dance before doing this sketch. In fact I am doing more and would share more information with you later.

Prabal said...

Kathy,
Can you please send me a dance video of yours.. LOL.. I indeed had a great evening..

Liz,
I want to move away from cricket for some days.. It has invaded into my space now.. I hate cricket.. :)